Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chapter 6: Summarizing and Note Taking

I agree that this is a skill necessary for all students, but one I rarely see in an elementary school. A typical note taking session might include a four square with pictures with a few words after reading or viewing a video. The addition of technology may or may not expedite the process. I can see the addition of a computer motivating students, but using word processing for some is tedious. I believe I would begin with using Power Point over a word processing program so students could easily utilize pictures instead of words. I did like the inverted T because it includes graphic representation and words and encourages a limited amount of words. Once again, I see the fun behind Inspiration and Kidspiration, but neither fits my needs because I get too involved in selecting the icons for each item and lose the ultimate direction of the lesson. I can see students using this program if you allow some playtime before asking them to use it as a tool.

I like the idea of using Wikis for cooperative work. In my situation, I believe that this might need to happen at school and not required from home. I realize one value of Wikis is the ability for students to collaborate remotely with each other, but many of our students do not have internet access so the remote might be discussion between students in a variety of classes, or discussion between students in different schools. I would like to see a Wiki in a book club situation in which kids could read a chapter and summarize what they read then others could add information or read others summaries to help with their comprehension. Allowing student access could be used as a recommendation for others who might want to read the book. This is an idea I have toyed with for a year now, it seems that we just don’t have time to incorporate these things into a school day, especially when time is limited when seeing students. Once again it goes back to collaborating with the teachers who also need to recognize the value of note taking and summarizing via technology.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, recognize that it is difficult to rely on 24/7 collaboration with a wiki when we can't guarantee equity of access to all students. I do like your idea about using a wiki during the school day with other schools within, or even outside, the district. This would be a great way to get them talking about books.

    Your observations about Inspiration and Kidspiration are right on track. It is a lot more fun to choose the graphics and fonts than to focus on the task at hand. Starting early in the school year letting students experiment with these applications on non-critical assignemnts would help them to get their playtime in before you are ready to use it for more important tasks.

    ReplyDelete