Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #2 LifeLong Learning

Reflecting on 7.5 Habits of Lifelong Learners I am trying to apply habit number 4 "have confidence in yourself as a competent effective learner" in my latest endeavor...learning to play the guitar. The quote "words become your reality" hit home when I discovered myself telling people I am the worst guitar player ever. I am attempting to change my mindset by telling myself and others that I am the best beginning guitar player ever. I have created my own learning toolbox (#5) by choosing to take lessons, set aside times for practice, purchasing the proper equipment etc.

Habit 7.5 is my constant struggle...PLAY. How many times do I expect to be perfect and if not perfect then I don't want to continue. In my example of playing the guitar I am quickly learning that new skills that are not automatic require time, practice and patience and it is okay to have fun learning. Life does not hinge on how quickly I can become competent, but on how I enjoy the learning along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment