Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing #5 Flickr



How about this image....George Washington's teeth! I was frustrated with the amount of pictures to weed through to find what I was looking for. I originally wanted examples of library signage and found some great examples, but then would get stuck in that person's album. Each album had many other pictures other than what I was looking for. Very frustrating! I then decided to head to the creative commons and located some fantastic historical pictures. Children are fascinated with the story of George Washington's teeth and these will be a wonderful lead-in to the book George Washington's Teeth. I also liked the discussion that went with this photo. Many went with general or political comments but others gave a historical perspective that will be invaluable background information. I will keep Flickr in mind when introducing different concepts in the library. Many images can also be found via EBSCO and Encyclopedia Britannica our online Databases. EBSCO provides templates for analyzing photos.

1 comment:

  1. What a great picture! When you do your lesson on George Washington's teeth, be sure to write it up and share. Did you check out the pictures that the Library of Congress is letting Flickr use? I think this would be a great way to show the students things they could never even imagine. I love flashing "Paradise" sign

    ReplyDelete