Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing #6 Mashups and 3rd Party Sites

Jim Bumgardner is the creator of a variety of the mashups, specifically the colr pickrs and Flickr Chia Pets. This quote from his website describes his philosophy of mashups "To those that question the utility of this little application let me point out that it is a toy...Its purpose is simply to provide wonder and delight. Nothing more, nothing less. Isn't that enough?" Based on this philosophy I played with several of the mashups and was awed of the skills Bumgardner and others have to take known technology and combine it to create something new. Have some fun and play with Flickr Chia Pet; according to the site you can upload your own pictures and grow your own green hair. I also liked the look of Clockr, created by Marie Klingemann. She created a digital clock based on the pictures from Flickr that has numbers in it.

I have seen Mosiac maker used in schools to manage the many pictures taken by teachers. This is part of a subscription service, but creates a nice look to display pictures of students and activities.

For this "Thing" I used Bubblr a mashup created by Daniel and Anna. In this appliction I located a picture of Dr. Seuss and placed a quote from him in a speech bubble. Although I used a single picture and one quote, but could have created a series of pictures with quotes. I could see students creating pictures of book characters and writing the dialog between characters.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the quote and the idea of creating mashups with book characters! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete