Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing #8 RSS Feeds and Readers

I like the simplicity of RSS especially with Google Reader. I was first introduced to RSS via EBSCO training. We set up an RSS feed for magazines; monthly I received notification that a magazine was available to read. The only problem I never had time to actually read the magazine. Using Google Reader I can scan quickly through the headlines of more than just magazines and decide if I need to read the article or not.

Google Reader puts all updates in one place which hopefully will save time thus helping me to keep up with professional reading. One of the links I added to Google Reader is a feed from the local newspaper so I can keep up with local issues dealing with the school system (professional) and also local news interests (personal).

It seems to me that this is a quick way for teachers and students to locate and share current events. Teachers/librarians could set up a Google Reader account and subscribe to newpapers, news sites etc. to receive a variety of links for class discussion or research.

There are many librarians with blogs that review books or technology. Having RSS feeds to these sites would be useful as a collection tool to read/hear about new must have items.

No comments:

Post a Comment