Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing #11 Library Thing

This was a nice new discovery for me. I thought I would suggest a small, old book called "Tisha" that I loved as a young person and low and behold it immediately popped up. The copyright was listed as 1984 and there were others who actually had it in their library and the reviews essentially stated my opinions on this book.

I am a book lover, but I am not a book collector...I much prefer to use a library so using Library Thing as a cataloging system is not the most pertinent aspect of this site. I was surprised by some of the sizes of people's personal collections; they definitely have more space than I do! I found the discussions and groups interesting to read and will check back in periodically to follow several of the threads.

As an elementary librarian I will also look to see reviews of possible purchases, and see if there are names of books that I am not aware of yet. As I get more time I may even look into the possiblity of reviewing books. One thing that I noticed in several of the discussions that the tone did not necessarily sound as if all respondents were librarians so I felt that opened ideas to what the "real world" is reading. Many of the mentioned books were older, books I loved and try to push, I will need to keep reading to see if newer titles are mentioned as well. My only problem with that is the idea that book lovers are responding, and I need to hear from nonreaders as well! I have found that many books that adults push really don't appeal to the nonreaders...perhaps I will start a discussion on just that topic!

1 comment:

  1. I always find it interesting to see what other people are reading. I like the idea of starting something to get ideas to help the non readers which is something we all struggle with. By the way, I am a reader and a collector-----I have books everywhere. I cant seem to get past wanting to keep them all, but I do try to share my books.

    ReplyDelete